This past week I started to learn how to play the Ukulele. I chose the Ukulele because I love how it sounds, and one of my absolute favourite musicians, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, plays the Ukulele often in his songs. As well once when I saw Pearl Jam live Eddie played an almost hour-long Ukulele solo and that is still one of my all-time favourite memories.

It has been difficult so far to find the time to practice as it seems that other things keep coming up, and this weekend I was unable to practice during my son’s nap times as we were on Salt Spring. One of the biggest challenges I have faced is whenever I try to play the Ukulele around my 21-month-old son he tries to grab it as he wants to play it himself. Fortunately, I did plan for this and have made a schedule for times throughout the week where I can practice while my son is either napping or at daycare and am just working at keeping myself honest and sticking to my plan. I have begun to work my way through learning the chords necessary for ‘Twinkle Twinkle’ (C, F, G7) and have looked ahead at some of the chords needed for ‘Don’t worry be happy’ (C, F, Dm). I have also been watching YouTube Tutorials and covers of people playing the Ukulele for motivation.

Photo by Joints Creative on Unsplash

Photo by Simon Noh on Unsplash